Cool Tools and Helpful Web Sites
- Bates' Visual Guide to Clinical Examination - These streaming videos show step-by-step examinations with rationales for the clinician's actions and contains expanded discussions of health history taking, interviewing, and describing findings. Graphics illustrate key components of anatomy and physiology. Contents: v.1. Head, eyes and ears--v.2. Nose, mouth and neck--v.3. Thorax and lungs--v.4. Cardiovascular : neck vessels and heart--v.5. Cardiovascular : peripheral vascular system--v.6. Breasts and axillae--v.7. Abdomen--v.8. Male genitalia, hernias, rectum, and prostate--v.9. Female genitalia, anus, and rectum--v.10. Musculoskeletal system--v.11. Nervous system : cranial nerves and motor system--v.12. Nervous system : sensory system and reflexesv--v.13. Approach to patient--v.14. Head-to-toe assessment of the adult--v.15. Head-to toe assessment of the infant--v.16. Head-to-toe assessment of the child--v.17. Head-to-toe assessment of the older adult--v.18. General survey, vital signs, and skin.
- BioDigital Human - Register for a free account which gives you access to 5,000 3D images from the Visible Human project. Great info on the conditions related to each part of the body.
- Bone Basics - Basic information about bones, from the NIH Osteoporosis & Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center.
- The Bone Box - Virtual learning tools created by faculty at Loyola University, Stritch School of Medicine, for medical students.
- Bone Mass Measurement: What the Numbers Mean - NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases ~ National Resource Center provides patients, health professionals, and the public with an important link to resources and information on metabolic bone diseases.
- Broken Bones & Injuries - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons provides this information.
- Clinical Key Procedure Videos - Clinical Key offers videos on many procedures. Type the subject in the search box, and when the list of options comes up, go to the left frame, and click both the "videos" and "procedures" boxes.
- DeGowin's Diagnostic Examination with Videos - Far beyond being a text describing how to perform a history and physical exam, DeGowin's Diagnostic Examination is, uniquely, a text to assist clinicians in thinking about symptoms and physical signs to facilitate generation of reasonable, testable diagnostic hypotheses. DeGowin's adds videos and images to help with the process.
- e-Anatomy: Human Anatomy, Medical Imaging and Illustrations - e-Anatomy is an anatomical database providing more than 3,000 images of the human body. It provides cross-sectional, gross, and radiological anatomy derived from various types of medical imaging, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) scans. (The Rowan University community has access to the free and premium content.)
- Harrison's Online with Videos - Featuring the complete contents ofHarrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18e; plus videos and powerpoint slides.
- Head and Neck Exam - Tutorial from the UCSD School of Medicine.
- Hosford Muscle Tables: Skeletal Muscles of the Human Body - This web site is an index containing detailed information about the skeletal muscles of the human body. Included is each muscle's origin, insertion, action, blood supply and innervation. PTCentral is glad to offer this and other health related services.
- HyperMuscle: Muscles in Action - This is a multimedia interactive HTML document which will help medical students learn the muscle actions of the human body.
- Introduction to the Muscular System - This information is offered by the National Cancer Institute.
- Introduction to the Skeletal System - This information is offered by the National Cancer Institute.
- Joint Replacement from OrthoInfo - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons provides this information.
- Learn Your Nerves - Virtual learning tools created by faculty at Loyola University, Stritch School of Medicine, for medical students.
- Lower Extremity Exam - Tutorial from the UCSD School of Medicine.
- Master Muscle List - Virtual learning tools created by faculty at Loyola University, Stritch School of Medicine, for medical students.
- MedicalStudent.com - A digital library of authoritative medical education information for the medical student and all students of medicine.
- Muscular System Picture Anterior (Front) View - From Sports Fitness Advisor.
- Muscular System Diagram Posterior (Back) View - From Sports Fitness Advisor.
- Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders - From the Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals.
- Musculoskeletal Exam - Tutorial from the UCSD School of Medicine.
- Musculoskeletal Exam Videos - From the Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC.
- Musculoskeletal Exams - Systematic Musculoskeletal Examinations is a clear, step-by-step learning text, atlas, and video series designed to teach essential and foundational skills of musculoskeletal physical assessment.
- National Guideline Clearinghouse - The NGC mission is to provide physicians and other health professionals, health care providers, health plans, integrated delivery systems, purchasers, and others an accessible mechanism for obtaining objective, detailed information on clinical practice guidelines and to further their dissemination, implementation, and use. You can search for anatomy, or for musculoskeletal processes and phenomena.
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases - The mission of the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases is to support research into the causes, treatment, and prevention of arthritis and musculoskeletal and skin diseases; the training of basic and clinical scientists to carry out this research; and the dissemination of information on research progress in these diseases.
- NIH Osteoporosis & Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center - Information on osteoporosis, osteogenesis, Paget's disease
- Normal Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System - Excellent explanation and illustration, from the Cleveland Clinic.
- OrthoInfo - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons provides information on most musculoskeletal disorders and injuries.
- Osteoporosis Risk Questionnaire - Great tool from the University of Washington School of Medicine.
- Rehabilitation & Conditioning Handouts from OrthoInfo - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons provides this information.
- Skeletal System - Quiz yourself, with this site from Penn State University.
- Sports Injuries & Prevention from OrthoInfo - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons provides this information.
- Treatments and Surgeries from OrthoInfo - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons provides this information.
- Upper Extremity Exam - Tutorial from the UCSD School of Medicine.
- Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics - Comprehensive online text of musculoskeletal system in health and disease.
- WorldOrtho - On this website you will find over 3000 pictures (another 3500 being added) with accompanying text, quizzes, and online books and Podcasts, directed at medical students, junior doctors, registrars, paramedics, and other health professionals.
The Library in Stratford owns several "Bone Boxes" that you may use in the Library. Visit the front desk to see if one is available.
You can find me at the RowanSOM Library in Stratford. Email is best, or call me at 856-566-6936.