Government Documents are the publications put out by government agencies – federal, state, local, and international. They do not deal solely with law and politics, but are reports on every aspect of life whether involving current events, education, science, technology, sociology, medical, etc. They are often the best, and sometimes the only source of statistical information on a given topic.
Public access to government documents is guaranteed by law and is your right as a citizen.
FIND GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS IN CAMPBELL LIBRARY
1. Do a subject or keyword search in ProfSearch.
Click on More under Content Type along left, look for Government Documents, highlight it and click on Apply at the top.
2. Do a subject or keyword search in the Library Catalog
Filter the results by Government Documents (right side of results page)
3. Check Catalog of Government Publication (CGP) --- OR from Library Homepage under Database Finder, choose letter C
Keyword search - must use (AND, OR, NOT)
Example: vietnam and war If URL is given - click on PURL for full-text of document
FIND GOVERNMENT INFORMATION/DOCUMENTS ON THE INTERNET
1. Use the online search engines, databases, gateways, etc. listed.
2. Each agency of the U.S. Government publishes its own documents through the Government Publications Office (GPO) or through links on its homepage. Find information about each Government Agency by consulting the links under the Directories heading, specifically Government Departments and Agencies (through USA.gov) or the United States Government Manual. Here you will find information about what the agency does, address, phone numbers, and web address, etc.
Search the agency's webpage using the search box provided.
Look for links to publications, statistics, and subagencies that deal with your subject
3. With more and more new government documents on the Internet, an easy way to find a government document is to use Google. Simply add a search term(s) and "site:gov" to the Google search box and click on "Search". If you are looking for New Jersey documents add the word "New Jersey" to your search.
Examples: drone strikes on americans site:gov OR ICE atrocities site:gov